"It is necessary to find one's own way in New York. New York City is not hospitable. She is very big and she has no heart. She is not charming. She is not sympathetic. She is rushed and noisy and unkempt, a hard, ambitious, irresolute place, not very lively, and never gay. When she glitters she is very, very bright, and when she does not glitter she is dirty. New York does nothing for those of us who are inclined to love her except implant in our hearts a homesickness that baffles us until we go away from her, and then we realize why we are restless. At home or away, we are homesick for New York not because New York used to be better and not because she used to be worse but because the city holds us and we don't know why." - Maeve Brennan

We said goodbye to our home in New York a few weeks ago. The last four years went by so quickly, but I feel like I remember every single day. I am a different person now than I was when I stepped off the plane at JFK airport and wandered through the streets of Brooklyn for the first time. Moving to New York changed my life for the better. I am more capable, confident, and charitable. I am more grateful for the things I have, and especially for the gospel. We have been stretched and pulled and pushed out of our comfort zones. We've been lonely and frustrated and scared. We did things we never thought we would or could do. But we did it! And we had a wonderful experience and have so many memories that will stay with us forever.
I absolutely loved going to Broadway shows, Yankees games, and the US Open. I was so happy as we rode bikes around Governor's Island. I already miss the veggie sandwiches at Vanessa's Dumpling House in Chinatown. The Manhattan temple was such a peaceful place in the middle of a whole lot of noise. And riding the Staten Island Ferry past the Statue of Liberty never got old.
We were happy to call Staten Island our home. It was good for our family. We met people who showed us so much love and support and who we will call our friends forever. We loved our little apartment and our little yard. We will miss our running route through the beautiful Clove Lakes Park, and the five minute drive to the beach and ocean. People we met at church inspired us with their talents, testimonies, and selfless service. We were lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people.
We will not miss the traffic, the constant honking, and the potholes. We will not miss spending hours looking for parking spots or paying ridiculously high priced parking tickets. Joseph will not miss his long commute. And we are glad to be done paying our sky-high rent every month. It definitely wasn't the easiest place to live, and there are a few things that we are okay to leave behind.
* first and last pictures taken by sister Robin, the rest were taken by Joseph & me

4 comments:
Ohhhhhhh so true!!! Leaving and then going back made it harder for me to leave it again. I love that place. Your post was perfect and all I can say is amen to that.
Amazing. Seriously, amazing. I loved your beginning quote. What an adventure. I guess life will just keep getting more interesting, though, right?
That is exactly how I would describe my feelings about NYC. Especially the friends! We didn't realize how lucky we were!
I love everything you said. It made me feel like I was in your shoes...then I started to miss you and all those who left NY. There's this longing in my heart to see those familiar faces.
Post a Comment