Monday, March 28, 2011

One Step at a Time

The National Half-Marathon was last Saturday in Washington DC. After a meager 9 weeks of training I had low expectations and no idea what it was going to be like. Last month I didn't even know if I'd be able to run in the race due to a knee injury that kept me from running for two weeks. But I trained as well as I could and was excited to see what I could do.

It was a cold morning, and we were all bundled up and shivering until we started to warm up a few miles into the race. Running down the streets of Washington DC with thousands of other people was so exciting, and the spectators on the sidelines made the race so much fun! I had a huge smile on my face and I loved every minute of it. I was pleasantly surprised that it was easier than I expected. I was not panting too hard at the top of the large hill at mile 6, and I had plenty of energy to laugh and talk during mile 9. But I hit a wall at 11.5 miles and felt like I couldn't go another step. Katie stayed by my side and pushed me through it and we just kept running and running and running. The last half mile to the finish line seemed longer than the whole race, and I was giving it my all to keep a good pace and finish strong.

When I crossed the finish line at 2:19:54 I was shocked! I couldn't believe I had run the whole 13.1 miles, and run it that fast! (fast is a relative term - fast for me is very, very slow for other people:) My goal finish time was somewhere between 2:30 and 2:45, so I was amazed to see that I had beat it by so much. It felt great to know that I gave it everything I had and I had no regrets.

I could not have done this race without my friends. Katie was our leader and my trainer, and she stayed with me every step of the way, urging me on and helping me keep moving and do my best. She is the reason I had such a great experience. Christy was a beginning runner like me, but she shocked us all with her endurance and speed. Natalie inspired me with her intense training and ability to push herself. Oh, and Katie had a baby three months ago. Amazing.

It was an incredible experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Maybe I will do it again sometime. I definitely learned that we are capable of a lot more than we think we are, and sometimes it is fun to do something you didn't think you would ever do!

13 comments:

lizzie said...

Way to go! You're a rockstar. That is awesome that you beat your goal time by so much. I'm glad you had a good experience.

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

That's great! You have more discipline that I do! I'm so happy you accomplished your goal, and even exceeded it. Congrats!

Unknown said...

Oh if only I could have talked you into it in Logan...good JOB!

Julia M. said...

Cat, you absolutely inspire me!! I need to do that race sometime. I want to be just like you when I grow up! :)

Karrissa Winward said...

Catlin! You are amazing and you look incredible! What a neat experience!

Aunt Shannon said...

Very proud of you! I've never been a runner but secretly sort of wanted to be.

Mythreesons said...

Awesome, Catlin! Seriously... I've been working on it for MONTHS and you did it in nine weeks! What an awesome race. I'm sure there will be more... you sound like a natural born runner!

Holly said...

So awesome Catlin. Good for you!

Elise said...

Wow Catlin, way to go!! What an experience. Impressive that you found the time to train with two little ones and your hubs in dental school! I actually ran a half a few years ago also and it really is such a good feeling. I have been wanting to do a full ever since, but hasn't happened yet. So what do you think, here's to a full next time ay? :)

Catlin said...

I know, Carrie! I was missing out not running with you! I guess I just wasn't ready :)

Elise - I didn't know you did a half! I actually have zero desire to do a full marathon. I was elated to split off from the marathoners when I finished the half. I guess we'll see, but no plans for now!

BaconandBitch said...

Awesome! Congrats!

J+M=L said...

Awesome job Catlin!!! I can't even imagine running that far. That must feel great! And you look amazing!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! That's such an awesome accomplishment. I hope you are still glowing!