Thursday, August 16, 2012

Texas

We are slowly getting settled into our new home here in Texas. Everything went well and we are all together and happy! Although, I admit it has maybe been a little bit of a shock. We have moved from a place with eight million people to a place with just over 100,000. We have moved from a place that was green and covered in trees and two miles from the beach, to a place that is very flat, very dry, and has severe water restrictions. We have moved from a place where cars honked constantly, to a place where people wave at you when you drive by. We have moved from a place where it took an hour to drive 15 miles, to a place where there is no traffic and Joseph's commute is five minutes long. We have moved from a place where we lived in apartments and were always surrounded by people somewhere, to a place where we have a whole house to ourselves and rarely see anyone in our neighborhood at all (probably because it is sooo hot!). We have moved from a place where we have been parallel parking on the road for four years, to a place where we have a garage. We have moved from a place where we saw ducks and turtles at the lake up the street, to a place where we have wild rabbits running around in our backyard. We have moved from a place where everyone walks or takes the bus, to a place where you drive even just one mile to work and everyone has at least two cars.
I could go on and on about the differences of here and there. But we are ready for the changes, and for whatever Texas is going to teach us. We love the quiet and the space and our home. Joseph will have a very busy year, but I guess we are used to that. Matthew will start full day kindergarten in a week, and then Anna and I will have to figure out what to do with ourselves all day.

Most of the boxes are unpacked and we are finding places for everything. I know we will be very happy here and I'm sure we have a great year ahead of us!

2 comments:

Hillary said...

Texas does live up to its stereotypes. Lucky for you, they are wonderful stereotypes. Hope the transition keeps going smoothly.

Julia M. said...

Whoa. Sounds like a serious adventure! I cant wait to hear more about it!