Monday, September 30, 2013

Searching

Both Joseph and I have ancestors that lived in England. Joseph's mom sent us a list of some family members that are buried in the surrounding area, so after church for the last two weeks we have ventured out to little villages to search for them.


We haven't had any luck yet in finding their headstones, since most of those we have looked for were buried in the early 1800s. Sadly, most of the stones that old are no longer legible.


We bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the afternoon, looking at beautiful old churches and cemeteries. The kids actually really enjoy it, and it has been so much fun to introduce them to family history work in this way.

One of the churches we visited was built in 961 AD and was absolutely incredible. I can't believe we are visiting places that are a thousand years old!

3 comments:

Hillary said...

My introduction to genealogy was in a classroom the size of a closet, with computers half the size of the room, and senior citizen couples who couldn't hear your questions despite being only six inches from you at all times. Matthew and Anna get the much better deal. So jealous! (like I am with everything you are doing)

Julia M. said...

I would ABSOLUTELY love to do that! How beautiful and scenic. What an awesome way to teach a great lesson AND see more beauties of where you're at. I love it!

Jessica Madsen said...

Very cool!